Being Green at Cranage Hall Hotel
At Cranage Hall hotel in Cheshire, we recognise that our operations impact the environment and are committed to continually improving our working practices. We take this commitment seriously and have achieved a Gold Green Tourism Business Scheme Award.
Read on to discover our policies, commitment, pledges and visitors charter, all driven forward by our dedicated in-house green team.
At Cranage Hall we recognise the impact our operations have on the environment and are committed to working in a sustainable way.
Our aim is bring a positive benefit to the societies in which we operate through high quality services, environmental protection and community involvement and employment. In order to adhere to these principles, we endeavour to:
- Set sound environmental and social objectives and targets, and integrate a process of review and reporting.
- Comply with all applicable environmental laws and regulations.
Management and Colleagues Training
Environmental awareness training is given to all colleagues at their company induction, each department works on their energy “Top 10 Tips” and weekly meter readings are taken, monitored and actions implemented by the Maintenance team.
Engage in achieving reductions in the energy consumption of our Venue Steps we have taken include individual energy control points in all bedrooms and toilets. We have a guest towel reuse changing program in place to save water; have installed a Heat saver chemical pool cover which reduces heat loss from the swimming pool and moving forward our aim is to reduce the units by 5%.
We aim to reduce our waste usage and increase our water efficiency. Measures we have taken include low flush toilets, training colleagues to maintain and report taps in the building and utilising the water coolers/towers as opposed to bottled water coolers, hence limiting the use of harmful chemicals. Our overall aim is create of saving of 3%.
Landfill waste is minimised by reducing, reusing and recycling wherever possible. We donate our toner and printer cartridges to charity. We recycle our papers, cardboards and our glass bottles. Our waste grease is also collected by a local re-cycling company. Conference guests are encouraged to recycle within their meeting rooms e.g. flipchart paper.
Through our purchasing we are committed to supporting local farmers and producers including organic food and drink and we will continue to purchase more economical and more energy efficient equipment.
All our wedding, banqueting and conference guests are encouraged to choose a local seasonal sustainable menu. We also work closely with local vineyards and breweries.
We encourage colleagues to take public transport wherever possible and also encourage our guests to taxi share upon departure from the venue to the train station or airport. Our website promotes local transport links and car sharing.
In our beautiful surroundings we house a pond of protected Great Crested Newts, operate a herb garden, have planted peach and apricot trees and provide a safe natural habitat for wildlife. Bird boxes have been placed in suitable locations including boxes to attract little owls. An environmental desk encourages staff and customers to report wildlife sightings.
We provide local Cheshire cheeses during our lunch and dinner here in the Tempus restaurant and encourage our customers once they have sampled to buy our local products on site.
It is part of our service to encourage guests to explore the destination beyond the boundaries of the property in order for us to support and actively contribute to local community and development projects.
We also encourage communication to guests and staff via our environmental desk which is updated daily with environmental updates both local and worldwide.
Cranage Hall pledges to:
- Comply with all relevant environmental legislation taking above and beyond environmental measures where they are identified.
- Manage and conserve energy and water efficiently to minimise emissions and record all evidence.
- Reduce waste by training and educating all colleagues and guests on our Reduce, Recycle and Re-use policy.
- Promote awareness and understanding of environmental issues with our external suppliers, partners and the local community.
- Maintain Cranage Hall’s Gold Green credentials.
- To improve the processes within the hotel to ensure we become recognised further in the North West.
- Use all available opportunities to influence our partners, suppliers and contractors to improve their environmental performance through education, training and awareness programmes.
- Ensure the hotel’s policies, procedures and achievements relating to best environmental practices are communicated to all colleagues and are made available to all hotel guests and delegates.
- To operate in a socially and ethically responsible manner and continually strive to improve our sustainability performance.
- To continue promoting the 4 principles of providing sustainable menus by using local, seasonal and where available, fair-trade products; by promoting healthy eating and culturally aware menus.
At Cranage Hall we realise our operations impact the environment and we are fully committed to continually improving our working practices.
The Cranage Hall Green Policy is as follows:
- We continuously seek to improve our environmental and social performance
- We reduce pollutions, emissions and waste
- We reduce the use of energy, water and other resources
- We raise awareness, encourage participation and train employees in sustainable business practices
- We expect similar environmental standards from suppliers and contractors
- We assist guests to use products and services in an environmentally sensitive way
- We liaise and work closely with the local community
- We have minimised our risks associated with social and environmental issues
Please follow these 7 simple ways to help us save the planet and be a responsible visitor.
Conserve Energy – Remember to switch off lights and other appliances when they are not in use and keep in the heat by keeping windows and doors firmly shut.
Local is Best – Buying local produce not only reduces the carbon footprint it helps boost the local economy, please ask us for information on markets in Cheshire/The North West.
Be Water Wise – Use water wisely. Always turn off the taps while you are brushing your teeth, have a shower instead of a bath and only change your towels and bedding when necessary.
Use Public Transport – Cut down on emissions with our local public transport network. We have excellent public transport services throughout the
North West allowing you quick and easy access to all the fantastic attractions
Reuse, Reduce & Recycle – Help us save on waste and dispose of your rubbish by leaving your waste separated when you leave, our housekeeping department will then dispose of it in our dedicated recycling area.
Nature Knows Best – There are many ways to help, why not have a look at our wildlife trail or check out our many bird/owl boxes dotted around the grounds, not forgetting our protected gold crested newts and hedgehog house. Or if you fancy getting out and about we can recommend the best local parks and nature spots in the area.
Support Green Tourism Business - For great hints and tips on further ways you can support the environment visit the Green Tourism Business website
Our Environmental Commitment
To find out more about our commitment to being green please call the hotel on